Cost to install backsplash

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny186

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've been asked to install a 30 sq ft backsplash for someone and I'm wondering how much to charge. I have to remove the old backsplash along with some outlets. The new tiles are standard, glued to mesh.

Attachments

• bs.jpg
    bs.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 16
So, assuming the the new mosaic will be just a replacement of the existing, and that the replacement is contained below the vent appliance aperture, and no cutting will be involved in the removal, cost out the material and add in what you project for your labor, and see what transpires.

Turns out you can add tile over old tile with a product called Eco prim grip
The materials have been purchased but I don't know what to charge for labor and keep in mind there will be no removal of existing tiles. This is in a wealthy northern burb of chicago.

I have had people work for me (cost-plus) I tell them up front I'm fair and I will buy the material and if it looks like they know what they are doing I will have them keep doing it. Other times all you can do is estimate your hours figure out what your skills are worth per hour and take your chances. If you figure 40 bucks per hour and it takes you twice as long as you thought you will make 20 per hour. The only way to get good at anything is by doing it, and you have to start someplace.

You can do that, that way, however, that process I've used in the past require the existing glaze to be brazed to ensure adhesion, and the jew mosaic sheets are nor square cut, so you'll need end cap trim of a sufficient width to hide both.

If you haven't discussed the tile over process, and shown them a depiction of the look-after, you'd be well advised to.

does $250 sound reasonable? I also have to remove a few square feet of old tile then patch and paint.

Thanks for the advice. FWIW, I gave her the quote and haven't heard back yet and normally she returns texts very promptly. I have a feeling if I knocked off $50 I would get the go ahead.

Are you renting a tile saw?

Do you have all hand tools needed?

What about cost of adhesive?

What about labor to grout and then clean up haze?

By “remove outlets”, what does that mean exactly?

This job will all be tough access, leaning over the counter, tough on your back.

I would bid $400 minimum, probably $550.

What is up with those areas of different tile?

Much more info needed here.

This job could become a big stinker for you, once you start it.

Do your homework first.

I started the job last week for $250. Customer paid for thinset, grout, tiles and tilt over tile mix. So far i'm at 12 hours of work with another 4-5 ahead.
Jeff, the different tile was another sample, she chose the ceramic tile on the left. I finished 80% of the tile work and all that's left are the areas requiring a wet saw - which I have. I'll finish the job over Christmas break. I definitely underbid. Live and learn lol

Last edited:
It's really hard to bid a job when you have little or no experience doing that type of work. There's to many unforseen things that can go as not expected. If it's any consultation, we've all been there before.

The funny thing is that I've done 3 backsplashes but they've been so spread out over time that I forgot how time consuming they can be. Plus, they've all been for my own kitchens so I had plenty of time to do them. Basically, without a time limit, the job seems less onerous lol

I was around 12 when I learned the lesson. I was mowing good size lawns for $1 and a guy approached me and asked if I wanted a big job and pointed to the 4 vacant lots he owned across the street that had grown up waist high. I told him I would do it but it was going to cost him 10 bucks. He said mow it down and come for your money. I started the next day shortly after sunrise and worked my butt off till the street lights came on. I hit a 100 rocks that stalled my mower beating the tar out of the deck and blade. But I got it done. I went over to his house to get my money and he said nice job it looks like it was more than you expected and I said it was. He said what do I owe you and I said 10 bucks is what I told you so 10 bucks. So he gave me 10 bucks.

That’s when I learned the lesson the first time, that wasn’t the last time I learned the lesson though. :coffee:

I have underbid jobs to where I only made a few dollars an hour, but those jobs do teach you how to estimate, and to build in a cushion.
Because something always goes wrong, or unexpected snags pop up, which you sometimes have to eat, unless you word your bid properly.

Back