Coupling type pictured

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdrymer

Reaction score
Hi in the attached picture I am trying to find out what the name of this highlighted coupling/fitting is that fits smoothly against the sanitary tee and elbow. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2020-10-12 15_55_16-Pipe.png
    2020-10-12 15_55_16-Pipe.png
    464.6 KB · Views: 21
It's a coupling, and they are available with and without internal stops.

The length of the pipe it's attached to determines how tight the fit is. It's the tradesmen, not the fitting.

The question to me is, why would they install that when the piece of pipe between the two fittings should be sufficient.

Good question.

Maybe there was a repair, alteration, or add-on at that location.
I always love trying to decipher why something was done the way it was done. Not normally a problem with a professional's work, but some DIYers will leave you wondering.

In our former house I came home from work one day to find water running out of my garage. The line to the water heater had broken. It was covered in insulation and I never gave it a thought before that. When I peeled back the insulation there were several fittings in about 18" of pipe for no apparent reason. One of the connectors had broken to cause the leak. I cleared out all the crap and fixed it with two fittings and a piece of pipe.

Do you have to be concerned with the lip of the piece that slides into the upstream piece with water catching/daming on it? I didn't know if such a fitting exists that prevents the fitting from catching water flow.

I wouldn't think that 3 or 4 drops would constitute a damning effect, in a drain, however in a supply there may be some minor cyclonic action, but not appreciable enough to affect flow.

If properly measured, cut, and solvent welded, there should be no lip to catch anything.
The inside surfaces are all the same diameter.
There could be some thin grooves or thin channels where pieces meet, but no ridges or humps.
Unless someone went crazy with excess glue.

Back