Covd 2nd wave renos?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I am thinking to the next wave of this pandemic, and to keeping busy. I have been thinking of stuff to do during that time, and am preparing to collect the materials needed.

What kinds of renos would be good to do if this wave hits in the Fall?

It depends a lot if your second wave comes with another stimulus check or not. Friday I had plans to load up in the morning and head to a friends house and build a little short 8’ wheelchair and walker ramp from the kitchen to the side yard with only about 12” of drop. I had a couple pressure treated beams and new box of 3” deck screws and all I needed was some 5/4 decking to make the top. I stopped at the first lumber store and they were all out. Didn’t think much about it. Stopped at the second and they were all out. So I asked the guy where did all the 5/4 go? He said it was the Covid19. What? Yep people got 1200 bucks and had time on their hands and built a deck and bought it all up. I asked if he knew anyplace in Erie that had it and another builder standing there said nope it is all gone. So I went to leave and I asked do you have 2x6 PT and he said yep 16 footers only. I asked if they could chop them in half? He said sure. How about cost? He looked it up and said same as the 5/4. What the heck. So I changed my framing plan a little and she got one heck of a sturdy little ramp.

If the second wave of Covid19 comes with lack of work and no stimulus money then your plans will have to be a project that doesn’t cost much but is high on labor. That has been my plan from the time I retired. The income is steady but it is not as much as working so I do things that don’t cost much. This weekend I used up all this scrap deck railing I had that I was going to burn and built for lack of a better word a 20’x8’ pen behind my garage to store all the outside junk that I think I need stored but is a major eye sore to look at. It kept me busy all weekend and didn’t cost a dime. The one neighbor asked me if I put a big deck on behind the garage and I told her no it was a pig pen in case I want to raise a couple hogs. She said I hope you don’t do that but it looks nice.

My plan if I have a lot of winter free time this year is to finally finish the spare bedroom, maybe clean up the basement and work on the home theater some.

So not knowing what you like I will suggest you build yourself a front projection home theater out of a spare room this fall with your spare time. Because once you have that done you will never have a problem with spare time again as long as you have Netflix. :coffee:

Back