Covered register with Hardwood floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89Buckeye

Reaction score
My contractor covered one of my floor vents with 3/4 in oak flooring. :confused: The ceiling downstairs is covered with drywall. I know about where it is but any good ideas on how to find the exact location?

Thanks.

I would ask your wife. She probably knows where it is from years of cleaning the floor on her hands and knees.:)

Welcome 89Buckeye:
I would call the contractor back. You paid him for a complete job and he's not finished yet. If you go to searching for the vent you may mess up some of the hardwood. That is his responsibility.
He can use a stud detector to locate the vent.
Glenn

I would use a stud finder to locate the register, a friend of mine installed some hardwood flooring and did the same, he covered up a vent, and I managed to find it no problem with my stud finder. The one i have i got from Home Depot, it can detect different density and finds the edges of studs etc. once you have a rough idea of where the vent is, just drill a hole and follow the contour of the vent with a jig saw. I hope this information shall be of benefit to you, and good luck.

Paul.

glennjanie is right you need to get your contractor on the phone and have him fix HIS mistake.

Back