crack above window in new construction

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trey

Reaction score
Hey everyone just noticed a new crack above a window in my new house. I am a little concerned. Here are some pics please give me some feedback
20130615_150538.jpg

20130615_150532.jpg

20130615_140811.jpg

Can you pull that section of soffit back to get a picture of the origination point on the crack?

Post a picture from further back so we can look at the entire front of the home as well.

Not uncommon and not necessarily indicative of a greater structural issue but the the bowing of the soffit J-channel is not my favorite either.

Thank you so much for the reply. I tugged on the soffit to try and pull it back but wasn't able to get it right then. I will try again later I did take a pic from further away.
20130616_090805.jpg

See if you can get that soffit open.

That bow in the soffit J-channel could just be from a mis-application of it or it could be indicative of the brick not being laid properly or a structural issue.

There appears to be a bit of a bow from the larger picture.

Have you contacted your builder? Regardless of source, it should not be doing that already by any stretch.

Yes it does, I called the builder today and left a message. I am waiting to hear back from him

While you are at it, there should be weep holes near the bottom of the brick wall, opening in the mortar, if some of those are below ground level this to could be a problem.

Back