Crack in walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedam850

Reaction score
Just moved into a new house and found these cracks in the wall.

How would I repair these?
I’m a newb when it comes to these types of issues.

Thanks all!!

IMG_6817.JPG

IMG_6818.JPG

Other question is what creates the horizontal crack like in the 1st picture

Other question is what creates the horizontal crack like in the 1st picture
Something has moved, if you have a basement see what might have been changed, like a wall recently removed , is this wall exterior or beside a stair case ?

Something has moved, if you have a basement see what might have been changed, like a wall recently removed , is this wall exterior or beside a stair case ?

Nothing’s been moved. There is a fireplace on the right hand side. Crack is old.

Crack in second photo is so clean, almost looks like a seem that was mudded without being taped first. It happens. I was looking to step up the completion date of our build and had a contractor come in to tape and finish the foyer. A crack showed up almost immediately. When I dug into it, they ran the tape beside the seem? Missed it.... Too anxious to get to the next job I suspect.

Crack in second photo is so clean, almost looks like a seem that was mudded without being taped first.

Yea I know. It’s bad. I’m thinking just using paintable caulk to cover it up.

Or maybe just using drywall repair gunk in a can to fill it in.

If it is a defective tape job, you could grind it out enough to tape it, re-mud and the crack would be completely gone, provided that's all that caused it originally. A caulked seam, while a faster fix, would always be a little noticable.

Just cut a 1/4" v out of the crack and tape and fill , 3 coats with drywall filler. You can buy a small bucket of filler and regular drywall tape.

Back