crazy refinishing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokosz

Reaction score
Hi, the image is a mount/backing for a wall clock. Its veneered wood at least 60years old. I thought I'd put a new/restored finish on it. I took a 600gr piece of sand paper and gave it a light rub. The dust that came off was white. turned the 600g paper white too. tack cloth wiped.

Since I can still see the "crazing" (I know that's more of a ceramic term yes?). Can any one confirm: if I re-coat the crazing will still be visible? Does it depend on the type of finish?
I've got tung&turpentine available. Or do I just have to sand away until the crazing is gone -- and then (likely?) re-stain?

I've a feeling if I sand away the finish, I'll sand away the veneer too (the entire piece is 3/8")

I don't want even more coatings & finishes in my workshop, and I'm ok with whatever I end up with. -- just wondering if I can do better with what I already got.
This is actually a good beginner/practice job for me, I do have some older, nice, tables that are "crazing" and I'd like to take a shot at those for reals, but don't dare trust myself at this point.

thanks for any insight(s)!

IMG_2691.JPG

Yes, if you refinish that now, you will still see the lines.

You need to start with a much coarser paper - perhaps 120. Then 180. Then 220. That should be enough, but you could do 320 after that if you want.
Rule of thumb is never skip more than one grit size with sandpaper.

I can't speak to how thick the veneer is.

Thanks Steve123, Maybe I'll take the 120->220 steps inside the circle (normally hidden by the clock) see how that works out.

hi odnt, yes, finish/veneer is the same, problem there is the veneer is damaged with some splits and missing pieces. But at least looking at it give me a better idea of how thick i can expect the front ven to be.

Back