Crickets? Wth? How the heck?...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Hi all.
I need some help trying to figure this one out. Last week I found a cricket in my basement. A week later I found another one!! NEVER in th 2 yrs we've lived here have we seen crickets in the basement. How are they getting in seems impossible for how good I have this place sealed up! Some facts to consider:
-Basement is fully finished 100% of the 1500 sqft all with drywall on ceiling too!
-All 3 basement windows are completely sealed up with few coats of flex seal from the outside and are boxed around with the drywall
-Foundation on the exterior doesn't have any cracks and al vents and fixtures are caulked around pipes and have screens over them since last year!
-Only spot where concrete foundation wall is visible is in the sump room and no entry point in there either
-I run a dehumidifier most of the year and basement hygrometer usually stays between 35-42% so I don't think it's moisture that's attracted them.
There's literally NO other enter points! I don't get it. Last week first cricket I thought the wife or kids let it in accidentally but after finding a second one today I realized I have a big problem here.
Here's a few pics to give an idea on what I'm working from. How the hell are crickets getting into a basement fully boxed in i.e. finished in drywall, into the basement?!?!?

Attachments

• IMG_7911.JPG
    IMG_7911.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7914.jpg
    IMG_7914.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7915.jpg
    IMG_7915.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7918.PNG
    IMG_7918.PNG
    197.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Get a gallon of bug spray, apply all-around the outside of the house, anywhere there's a void in the wall area and the interior walls at the floor level.

Could have hopped in behind you, maybe even hitched a ride on your leg. But they multiply like crazy, so catch'em early. They seem to live behind the walls. I think mine were moving in and out around the breaker box. I put down several glue traps and they filled up pretty quick.

Could have hopped in behind you, maybe even hitched a ride on your leg. But they multiply like crazy, so catch'em early. They seem to live behind the walls. I think mine were moving in and out around the breaker box. I put down several glue traps and they filled up pretty quick.
Yeah behind walls they'd have to be and somehow expose themselves via the unfinished portion I think. Everything else is sealed up even the conduit pipe that runs through the foundation wall to the elec box. There's a donut of flex seal around mine.
I will say that I did get an idea to check while discussing this with some buddies at work, one guy suggested taking off window well covers and looking at the tops of the window where the sill plate would be exposed up there and see if there's any gaps! Gonna check that when time allows.

Back