Critter in upstairs subfloor/lower ceiling??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
There's a vent on main floor bathroom and exhaust is in ceiling but there's a bedroom directly above. What's this sound like?? See video. Pest guy said sounds like baby raccoons. I also hear a lot of skipping sounds as it moves around back and forth so I think it's a bird because birds hop and that's what whatever is up there is doing. Listen closely to the audio sorry about the noisy ars kids in background.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4upk5gk70e9vbgz/IMG_4524.MOV?dl=0

Here's some more details.
It's a bird. It entered through a subfloor bathroom vent and the duct run is a looong one. Goes straight into house about 6ft, turns a 90, then another 12ft run, and another 90, and finally 2ft into bathroom ceiling pocket and vent. Between the entry point and the Bath exhaust vent is the mudroom.

BUT here's the problem, damn bird never made it that far to the Bath vent. The bird came in the first 6ft, turned at the first 90, then went only about half way before poking through the duct material and entered the ceiling joist pocket between the garage entry point and the bathroom vent. He's stuck in that joist pocket and I think he was probably attracted into that pocket by the light that is mounted on the mudroom ceiling. All day long I hear it hopping back and forth in that ceiling joist pocket!!!

More fun facts: It sounds like there may be more than one but I'm not hearing any babies chirping yet.
The reason I use the word STUCK is because I got on my ladder to peak in the vent from outside and I don't see ANY debris of nest building materials so he hasn't been in and out. I think he came in too far got stuck and cannot figure out how to get out. The area above the ceiling pocket he's in is a bedroom so there's no easy attic access to this job.

Only ideas I can think of other than busting drywall is to try and shew him out using the bathroom exhaust vent by turning it on pulling the cover and use something kind of harmless but annoying fogger or even smoke him out by using the vent to push the fog/smoke into the duct and maybe he'll bail.
Pics below sorry ignore the scribble I used old pics but wanted to give an idea of what's going on visually. That long box is the box which houses the duct and I pointed above mudroom Door because that's where he busted the duct and entered the joist pocket inside the house!

any ideas will be greatly appreciated!IMG_4561.jpgIMG_4562.jpgIMG_4563.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back