Crown Moulding Gaps up to 3/4"

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgatto1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm having my kitchen renovated. The contractor noticed my ceiling is a bit off in a spot. There would be a gap between the top of the crown and the ceiling. From the part where it's flush, a gap starts which progresses up to ~ 3/4" in a spot. It's about a three foot stretch of crown. He had some suggestions that I did not like; manipulate (twist) the crown to reach the ceiling; bury part of the crown into the sheetrock; or just make it flush to the top of the cabinet and leave the gap; I chose the last option. I asked if we could fill the gap either with a shim or with a skim coat or caulk; he didn't seem confident; so I am wondering how some on here dealt with it.

Thanks!!

It's a matter of aesthetics, yours.

There are several solutions, based upon the relationship of the gap and the cabinet layout.

If there is a window above a sink an the gap occurs there, a valance could mitigate the effect.

If the cabinets are along opposing walls and the gap is across that expanse, I would fill with several ever narrowing sections of 1/4" drywall, fill, prime and paint, which cures the problem forever.

It's always interesting when decisions are made, ostensibly, for cost in the immediacy, rather than the negotiated loss in escrow, which has the potential of several times the "cost" of the instant gratification.

Absolutely without a doubt I would fix the ceiling. Making it right now, pays dividends for years to come. Both in the satisfaction of having fixed it right and the long range benefit of higher resale value. Or in other words.....What Snoonyb and oldognewtrick said. ;)

If you're dead set against fixing the ceiling, then I would scribe a filler piece to add to the top of the crown edge. One method I have seen and it looks good is to add an additional thin board to the ceiling the entire length of the crown and have it project out from the top edge of the crown about 1/4" so as to add another reveal line and hence the board could be scribed thicker at that one spot and then the top edge of the crown attached to the board.

can you drop the height of the crown off the ceilling by a coupe/three inches and let there be a void between the top of the crown and the ceiling. the more you can drop the crown the less you will notice the difference. or, fix the ceiling.

Back