CRT TV Problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freitas

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum. So, my name is Rui Freitas and I'm from Portugal.

I have a crt tv with a problem. If none of sources is connected to it the tv turn off a second after I turn on and If I try to use any of two scart sources sometimes the image doesn't appear or the sound but after a few seconds the tv turns off. It seems like the tv only remains on if it were connected to aerial.

It is a Sayno tv, I really don't know the model right now but I can get it tomorrow.

So, if anyone could help I will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Flat panels are so cheap now it would be advisable to just replace it.

Yeah I know that but we are a university community house group and we don't want to spend any money you know?

So we want try to fix ourselves..

I already did a huge search on the web and i found some folks that for a specific model say like "man change this cap" or something like that and the problem is solved.

So if anyone could help me, I will appreciated or at least if anyone could indicate a more suitable site/forum for this problem.

Cheers

If none of sources is connected to it the tv turn off a second after I turn on and If I try to use any of two scart sources sometimes the image doesn't appear or the sound but after a few seconds the tv turns off.

It seems like the tv only remains on if it were connected to aerial.
Having fixed many radios and TVs, I can't imagine how this is possible. Sorry.

"Amongst its other meanings, Rui is a common Portuguese first name, also spelled Ruy and cognate with Roderick and Rodrick."

This forum continues to teach me things. :)

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum. So, my name is Rui Freitas and I'm from Portugal.

I have a crt tv with a problem. If none of sources is connected to it the tv turn off a second after I turn on and If I try to use any of two scart sources sometimes the image doesn't appear or the sound but after a few seconds the tv turns off. It seems like the tv only remains on if it were connected to aerial.

It is a Sayno tv, I really don't know the model right now but I can get it tomorrow.

So, if anyone could help I will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

In the USA , we do not have scart connections on our TV's ? Unless they are called by another term ?

So I am clueless .

Your research indicated you should change / replace a capacitor ? If so , there are no doubt a lot of capacitors in your TV ? Did they indicate which one ?

God bless
Wyr

Some TVs try to be eco friendly but shutting off when they are not being used. If you have no input source, the TV might think you are shutting down for the night and turns itself off. The trick for you is to get to the menu settings before the TV shuts off

First, connect any source you can - maybe even a VCR - and make sure that it is also powered on. This may allow the TV to stay on until you can find a menu setting to adjust that function (may be called "auto-off" or "energy saver mode" or something like that). But if the TV stays on when you connect a source, maybe you don't need to adjust the settings. It can be a good thing if you think about it.

If you decide to go inside the TV and look for a bad capacitor remember - DO NOT TOUCH THE BACK OF THE PICTURE TUBE. The shock will send you flying.

If you are able to find the right capacitor by chance then you have used up your entire lifetime allotment of luck so be careful after that.:hide:

Back