Crumbling Joints

Discussion in 'Bricks, Masonry and Concrete' started by luanneo, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1

luanneo

luanneo

luanneo

We have a brick on concrete front walk. The bricks were mortared onto the concrete and the joints had mortar brushed into them and sprayed with water. They have held up fairly well for many years . We did redo them once the same way and some of the large cracks were mortared by hand. Now many of the joints are crumbling and I wonder if I should so all the joints by hand with mortar. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

2. Mar 16, 2008 #2

inspectorD

inspectorD

inspectorD

Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

That is going to be a constant maintenance issue. The bricks will always absorb water, and need to move. The grout does not always move as the bricks do, so you get cracks.
    You could repair it, and then seal it. Your location is also frost damage prone.
    Unless someone has seen something for the northern climates, sealing it and hope for the best is all I have as a solution.
    Good luck and tell us how it works out...:)

3. Mar 17, 2008 #3

southernelitecrete

southernelitecrete

southernelitecrete

repoint as needed & then give it several coats of silicone siloxane - probably your best bang for the $

4. Mar 17, 2008 #4

mudmixer

mudmixer

mudmixer

Contractor

As use the correct type of de-icer if you have to use a de-icer.

Brick on concrete can be a continual problem. That is why interlocking concrete pavers are use so often in cold climates and where there is the possibility of frost heaving

5. Mar 17, 2008 #5

luanneo

luanneo

luanneo

Thank you all for your replies. Any suggestions as to what to repoint with and what sealant products containing silicone siloxane would be greatly appreciated. It looks like I have a big job ahead of me.

6. Mar 18, 2008 #6

southernelitecrete

southernelitecrete

southernelitecrete

prosoco or sonneborn but there're many other brands avail,,, make certain you remove ALL the bad mortar & pressure wash to clean sufficiantly,,, then, if you wish, get mortar-in-a-bag,,, we also use mason's socks ( think cake decorating ) & pointing tools.