Curb form building questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumz

Reaction score
curb-form.jpg I always have a tough time with forms but this is such a small project it is not feasible to hire a contractor. I pulled out an old curb along the upper flat part of my driveway because it was old/brittle and only 3 1/2 x 3 1/2. I need to put a fence on top so with a new curb will be able to put 4x4 anchors in when I pour. I have a couple questions about the form if anyone can be so kind.
The driveway is gravel -3/4 and the other side where a hardscape patio is going is also currently gravel, but one side is really deep (I decided not to form the dog leg as shown but span with a pillar in the middle) where a raised garden bed is going. (Once I get done laying the pavers up to the curved curb, stones will go on top of that, a garden goes in) I plan on using 2x6 for the form, 3/8" rebar for stakes and vegetable oil sprayed on to keep cement from sticking; I will also be reinforcing with 1/4" rebar making a 4" wide curb. So my questions are:
1) How far apart should the stakes be?
2) What should I do where the one side is deep, fill to the bottom of form with gravel, or maybe I need to get the soil in there first so cement doesn't ooze into the hole (there's drainage near the bottom)?
Hopefully I've been clear about what I'm trying to do but please hit me up for any clarifications.
Thanks in advance for your time
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, scratch #2, sorry, I would delete if I could.
I just need to know how far the stakes should be, every foot and offset them?

I've never built/poured a curb that wasn't anchored in the soil. Put wooden stakes 2' apart, alternative or opposing, use 3/8's rebar.

Back