Cut-out for strike plate in door jamb -- is there a simple way to relocate it?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLaurus

Reaction score
Hello! I would like to reposition the strike plate for this door hardware so it sits about 1/4" higher on the door jamb. Can anyone suggest a practical way for me to resize the cut-out on the door jamb so the strike plate can sit higher? (I cannot reposition the door on its hinges because settling of the house has slightly skewed the door frame, so I'm stuck with adjusting the strike plate so the door will latch.) If anyone can suggest a way to recut it without doing something major like dismantling the door frame, etc., I sure would appreciate it!
Strike plate cut-out.jpgDoor hardware.jpg

I have taken a few off over the years and lengthened the slot with a round file and I have done others in place with a dremel tool.

A quarter inch is quite a bit and you might have enough room to just remove it and move it up and drill new screw holes and cut away the wood behind it where the slot is.

I have a garage door that was tight one way in the summer and tight the other way in the winter.

Just chisel out the mortise 1/4 inch higher, for the plate to fit in higher up.
Then either chisel out or drill out the hole for the latch to rest into.

Fill the old screw holes with round toothpicks with a dab of glue on them, tap in and pack in several with a hammer, and break off or razor off the excess.

Drill new screw holes as needed.

Back