Cutting a Laminate Countertop

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTooDeep

Reaction score
I have a laminate countertop I need to be cut for my bathroom vanity. I obviously need to cut this straight and without burrs. I tried using a jigsaw with painters tape but it didn't turn out that well (rough edges). Any suggestions for doing this better? Skill saw? Different tape?

Thanks.

How about a piece of 1x and a couple c-clamps to create a guide and a laminate blade for your skill saw.

If you can turn it over , use a skill saw and the straight edge Oldog suggested. Unless you are talking about just the laminent.

Here is the best method I use ... Apply quality painter's tape over the eventual cut line. Accurately mark your line. Using a skill saw or a jig saw, cut CLOSE TO BUT NOT ON the final cut line.

Use your belt sander to ease into the final cut line.

You will get a smooth surface, a precise line and absolutely no chipping.

Here is the best method I use ... Apply quality painter's tape over the eventual cut line. Accurately mark your line. Using a skill saw or a jig saw, cut CLOSE TO BUT NOT ON the final cut line.

Use your belt sander to ease into the final cut line.

You will get a smooth surface, a precise line and absolutely no chipping.

This^. Exactly how I did it for the upstairs bath vanity and it turned out fine.

Callmevilla has the technique.
They make a laminate blade for a jigsaw.
Basically, the teeth point downward so as to not splinter the laminate from the bonded surface on the up-stroke of the saw.
Ok everybody, run out and look at your jigsaw blade teeth. :D

So took your advice (cut with a skilsaw and then sanded down to a clean finish). Turned out pretty well. You really have to look close to see any imperfections. Anyway I'm currently putting on the end pieces. The instructions call for 30 nails to be put in but some reason the package only came with 15. Could I use a 23 guage pin nailer to do the job?

Also to file down the end caps I don't have a wood filer. Would a palm sander work here?

Not following your project here. The end pieces (without splashed) on laminate tops I have done are simply laminate with a heat activated glue. You just iron them on then trim with a laminate trimmer or grind close then file by hand.

The other side with the side splash is simply attached with silicone sealant on top of the countertop.

Nails? I am not picturing this ...

I think the nails are for the wood filler under the counter, best if you could lay your hands on a router or you can use a file.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNhw1pNZf0A[/ame]

Latest posts

Back