Cutting out rock in a basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Think of it this way, I am not bringing them out in 100lb chunks. I would much rather chunks no bigger than a basketball. Even smaller is fine.”

A basketball size chunk will be approx 100 pounds.

I have lifted boulders that size. They most certainly are less than 100 lbs. Basically, I am going to bring them out in manageable sizes.

Stone Weight Calculator
I used 6 inch cube. Tells me its about 22 lbs, which is manageable.

Bits and blades capable of cutting fresh granite are not cheap, but you only need a few to get started and gauge how much time/expense the job might take. Be sure to use either wet tools or wear a respirator - silicosis is no joke.

Also, look to see if there are existing fractures or other planes of weakness. Flow banding or foliation (if partly metamorphosed), or basically anything else that kind of looks like lines in the rock, can be planes of weakness that will be easier to break.

Bits and blades capable of cutting fresh granite are not cheap, but you only need a few to get started and gauge how much time/expense the job might take. Be sure to use either wet tools or wear a respirator - silicosis is no joke.
“Silicosis is no joke”.

And yet I often see guys working on roadways with giant concrete cutting saws, wearing no mask, respirator, or sometimes even eye protection.
Then they will probably be filing workman’s comp when they can’t breathe.

OP here...

GREAT NEWS!!!!

It's not granite, it is shale. My new neighbour did the same thing a few years ago. They'll teach me a few things.

Don't forget to get a star drill.

Back