Dealing With Door Rot

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Bud. I genuinely appreciate your words of confidence. I certainly own more tools now than I did before I owned a house. And I have learned to use many of them. I didn't grow up with anyone showing me how to fix things or use tools. But I like working with putty, epoxy and other glues, so this could at least offer some fun.

Neal, when you say "loose" the metal at the bottom of the door, did you mean loosen it or remove it? Did you mean the metal sticking up from the bottom of the door frame?

It appeared to have metal strip along the bottom of the door but perhaps that's wood. Not sure how you deal with that.

The term lose is sometimes used as to remove and discard. Neal speaks Canadian. :hide:

Sounds like you like working with glue and such so give it a try and please take lots of photos and post them to document your steps you take. The information will help others I’m sure.

If you have a kijij in your area you can find entry doors for very cheap. Wood doors as exterior are not great because they transfer heat.

Metal with foam core doors are a no brainier door because they last forever and you can just paint them after a while. They are also safer against intruders.

Back