Deck Renovation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard_2btrue

Reaction score
My deck covering has worn away as shown in attachment. The covering was not reccomended anyway because it harboured damp. Under the carpet like cover are boards. The deck is some 9 feet above ground level supportd by posts. How can I renovate the surface? I would like to use standard decking wood but I am new to decks and would I have to remove the boards, or could the decking be fixed to the boards? What products might be suitable?

Also the other attachment shows the deck rails which could also do with replacement. Any idea how involved this project might get for a non professional?

P3170004.jpg

P3170005.jpg

Isn't that plywood [look from underneath]?

Well, there's no ground contact so pressure treated wood is not req'd.

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=exterior+deck+wood&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=]exterior deck wood - Google Search[/ame]

If I can find the thing I'll post my files of time spent & material qty for recovering decks.

Last edited:
The important peice of information required is what is underneath the deck supporting the plywood. Depending on the size of the deck, there should be 2x8 or 2x10 or 2x12 beams holding up the plywood. My decks have always had these supports spaced 12 inches apart. The deck boards are then laid perpendicular to the supports and nailed or screwed into the supports.

Can you determine what size the supports are and the spacing of the supports?

Are you wanting to replace the covering over the plywood, just finish the plywood, or remove the plywood and install boards?

I have tried using a stud locator but it wont work so will have to remove some of the finishing material from under the deck to see how the beams are spaced.

I am interested in getting a nice new surface without a huge project. If there are any marerials that might be suitable to put onto the plywood I would take a look at those. But I would have thought that boards are the best solution. Whichever marerial is used, finishing the edges might be a problem after removal of the carpet and plywood (see attachment). Any comments would be appreciated.

P3290011.jpg

have you looked into timbertech? they have a deck topper made to go over an existing deck. i am sure there are other manufacturers who offer similar products. as long as your deck is supported properly that may be the way to go. good luck.

I wouldnt put any wood on top of the plywood or your going to cause mold.
just tear off the ply-wood throw down some cedar or redwood and re-build the rail,
this is a fairly simple job and I bet you and a friend could do it in a weekend.

Last edited:
Yea just invite me over, I'm needing a little more practice lol.

Back