Deck stain and Seal protection length Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACardAttack

Reaction score
I have a new deck which I need to seal in the next month or two
I went to lowes to see what they had, and I saw the Olympic stain and seal combo
As I start looking at the different types, I noticed a 4, 6 and 10 year protection, but what is throwing me for a loop is they are all basically the same price.
Shouldn't the one with the longest protection be more expensive? Why are they priced the same? What is their actual difference?
4 year
6 year
10 year
The only difference I can see is the 10 year doesnt have premade color choices, but is tintable, so that gives me some more options
Thanks

How long ago was this deck built, and what's your location?
Pressure treated needs time to dry out before sealing.
Do it to soon and you just sealed in the moisture and will have mold issue from that point on.
Sounds like you may be looking at soild stain for fences and walls, which would work fine for your railings, but would wear through in no time when walked on.

Louisville Ky and it was built last sepetember, so its had time to get "seasoned "

Also all three of those are deck stains, they also mention the protection lasts a couple years more for fences

I’m not an expert but I don’t think the life number means very much. I use Olympic semi-transparent and flat surfaces facing up like railing tops I get about 3 years posts and areas that don’t hold water and snow look good after 5 years and walk areas where snow collects and we shovel and use salt could be done every year but I stretch it to two years.

My plan this summer is to pressure wash the top of the rails and the walking surface and just do them. should go pretty fast as I can do it all with a paint tray and a pole applicator.

OP,
It's more about sun exposure than anything else. Ultraviolet is what deteriorates stain and wood. The pigment in stain is what blocks UV and the more pigment the more blocking.

I replaced the deck boards last year on my 16x20 deck (2x6). Finished around the fall. We had a mild winter in Northern Virginia. I wanted to make sure the boards where totally dry before sealing.
Spring of this year I sealed/stain using Home Depot semi transparent. Had to wait to get some dry days less than 90 degrees to use cleaner first...let it dry and then put two coats of the Behr semitransparent sealer/ stain. The semitransparent allows some of the grain to show. The solid last longer but no grain shows. The transparent lasts the least. Supposedly the semi transparent is good for 3-4 years. Looks good. took my time...70 yrs old.:usa:

I replaced the deck boards last year on my 16x20 deck (2x6). Finished around the fall. We had a mild winter in Northern Virginia. I wanted to make sure the boards where totally dry before sealing.
Spring of this year I sealed/stain using Home Depot semi transparent. Had to wait to get some dry days less than 90 degrees to use cleaner first...let it dry and then put two coats of the Behr semitransparent sealer/ stain. The semitransparent allows some of the grain to show. The solid last longer but no grain shows. The transparent lasts the least. Supposedly the semi transparent is good for 3-4 years. Looks good. took my time...70 yrs old.:usa:

That sounds a great process and finish! Do you have some pics to share? Just got back home and I'll be waiting for the stuff I ordered from 4WheelOnline to arrive and got them installed on my truck. Then I'll start planning for small deck garden.

Back