Derusting a sump pump/pit treatment?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Hello fellas, quick question. I installed a backup sump pump 2 months ago and while I was in there I grabbed the old shop vac and sucked out pebbles and muck from the pit. Now today I checked in there and it's still pretty clean enough but I noticed my new pump and new switch on primary have some rust already. I know it's typical for something that's metal and spending its life sitting water but not sure how bad it will get. Is there some type of additive I can add to the pit once a month to help with standing water and rust removal that's also safe for the pumps?

Don’t worry about it.

Anything you add will just get pumped away anyway.

Adding a rust or mineral cleaner would just corrode your pump and other materials even faster.

If the pumps are sitting right on the bottom of the pit, with mud and loose stones, that is not good.
They can jam up if something gets pulled inside.

In that case, set a few wide paver stones or similar concrete blocks firm and level on the bottom, and reset the pumps onto them.
Just shorten the discharge as needed.

The junk will settle around the gaps, leaving the pumps high and above it.

Don’t worry about it.

Anything you add will just get pumped away anyway.

Adding a rust or mineral cleaner would just corrode your pump and other materials even faster.

If the pumps are sitting right on the bottom of the pit, with mud and loose stones, that is not good.
They can jam up if something gets pulled inside.

In that case, set a few wide paver stones or similar concrete blocks firm and level on the bottom, and reset the pumps onto them.
Just shorten the discharge as needed.

The junk will settle around the gaps, leaving the pumps high and above it.
10-4 thanks

Latest posts

Back