Did I ruin my 4 year old roof?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will78

Reaction score
Looking for advice. In March 2018 I used windex outdoors (the blue bottle that attaches to hose) to clean my stucco/window/eaves/gutters. In order to get the second story the chemical got on my roof and the affected shingles are now several shades lighter and it is quite noticeable from the street. House is 4 years old and the area in question faces SW.

What do you think? What would your next step be? Picture attached

Thank you!

Attachments

• 035A20C3-D364-446C-AC8C-5AFA992BEAB6.jpeg
    035A20C3-D364-446C-AC8C-5AFA992BEAB6.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 40
Did you ruin your roof, I seriously doubt it. The composition of the shingle is mostly stone granuels. It looks to me that the discoloration could be a result of the residual cleaner leaching down the wall and cleaning the atmospheric dirt off the roof. My advice, leave well enough alone. In time it should even out. I would keep an eye on ganuel loss in that area and see if it is excessive.

Read the composition on the mixture in the bottle, and you may find an ammonia. But you can rest assured that any residual will wash off in successive rains.

I appreciate the replies. I guess I’ll just leave it alone for now and hope for the best. Once the weather cools down I’ll get up there and inspect the roof up-close.

Thanks again!

take everyones advice, stay off the roof and let nature do its thing. there's nothing that you did to damage your roof, but, if you go up there, you could damage it, never mind the damage you could do to yourself if you slip

Latest posts

Back