Different gauge wire for RJ45?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumz

Reaction score
So I have a barn 100' from my house that I'd like to connect to the internet. When we had our septic system redone I had to run electrical down there and also laid down in the trench cable I got from Comcast. The cable is sheathed in copper and water proofing gel with 10 wires and a bigger gauge than the typical ethernet cable because I couldn't use the normal RJ45 plugs. So I had to use wire nuts to connect the bigger wire but it's not working. I'm not sure if it's my connections or the fact the bigger wire is absorbing the signal. So my question are:
  1. Are there RJ45 plugs for that bigger wire?
  2. How can I tell the size of the wire since it's slightly bigger than typical indoor RJ45?
  3. Do I need a booster to get through the wire?
Thanks for your time.

Assuming the wire you are describing is just burial grade cat5/6 then you just need to get a 2 piece rj45 plug to crimp on (I can't google right now, but they generally have a metal housing and will be rated for the 24awg wire)

or better yet, use a leviton punch-down block and then just run a patch cable from there.

Back