Digging around the Natural gas line for a garden

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
It is in the midst of a -40C deep freeze, but I am thinking of spring, and the garden I want to put in the front yard. The plan is to put it along the front of the house.

But there is a problem... That is where my NG meter is. I would rather the garden ties around it instead of beside it. I would plant something that will never block the meter, but would look nice.

My concern is, how deep down would the main line coming into my meter from the street be?

About 18" but you can dig right behind it and follow the pipe down and see where it is.

From when they spray painted when I built my garage, I know where. I just don't want to dig down and break the line.

Gas and electric tend to be 18" or deeper. Phone and CATV, not so much. I cut the CATV in my last house aerating the yard, the Coax was laid right under the sod.

contact the gas company and they will come out and mark it for you. they don't want you to hit their gas line either. our gas company does it as a free service but you might want to ask when you call them

contact the gas company and they will come out and mark it for you. they don't want you to hit their gas line either. our gas company does it as a free service but you might want to ask when you call them

Definitely, call 811 before you dig. Even if you *know* where it is.

The plan is to call them in the spring before I dig there. I am just trying to figure out how deep it is, and also what will happen when I start digging. I am only going down about a foot, so it sounds like I will be good.

just so you all know about 811. that is a subscription service for utility companies, as in they have to pay to be on that service. not all companies
subscribe.

just so you all know about 811. that is a subscription service for utility companies, as in they have to pay to be on that service. not all companies
subscribe.

Here it is ON1Call. And I know for a fact that they do the gas lines as they did when I was building my garage, which is only a few feet from the meter.

Even though gas services are suppose to be a certain depth, doesn’t mean they are. Over the years, grades change for whatever reasons(homeowners add or remove dirt)...definitely call 811 2 days prior to digging- it’s FREE and all utilities get marked. You are suppose to hand dig cautiously within 2 feet, I believe, of a natural gas service.

I would plan on calling a week in advance, especially once the weather turns warmer and the request calls pick up. The 811 people will tell you which utilities they notify for locate services.

FYI, In our area the locating service gives you 14 days following the locate to do your project. If the project takes longer, you're required to call in a new locate request.

Latest posts

Back