Dimmers for CFL's and LED's

Discussion in 'Electrical and Wiring' started by Fireguy5674, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Feb 12, 2013 #1

Fireguy5674

Fireguy5674

Fireguy5674

Any body out there know if a combination light/fan switch with a dimmer for dimmable CFL's and/or LED's and a three speed fan switch for a single gang box exists? I have talked to Hunter and Hampton Bay customer service people. When I ask this question there is a pregnant pause and then the answer is no. When I ask why not they start making things up. They make them for incandence bulbs and I like them. Will my option in the future be to install a double gang box and use two separate switches, one dimmer and one fan?

2. Feb 12, 2013 #2

Wuzzat?

Wuzzat?

Wuzzat?

Well-Known Member Sponsor

Only the marketing people know why or why not and they will not tell you because they will think you are a corporate spy.

You might try home automation or electronic hobbyist sites.
    With the proper encoders/decoders/multiplexors you can transmit all kinds of different signals on the same wire at the same time (as far as we notice) as a serial bit stream, like the USB uses.

Just as how motion detectors can be put into several different 'states' with just a single on-off switch turned on and off within specified time periods you could have a similar device having a few more states at the destination appliance, your fan.

In this case the 120vac would go to the fan and the switch would only see signal levels: 0 to 5vdc, 4 to 20 mA, whatever. For a three speed fan there would be three relays and a CFL or LED compatible dimmer, all controlled by an on-board decoder.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013