Dimmers for CFL's and LED's

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any body out there know if a combination light/fan switch with a dimmer for dimmable CFL's and/or LED's and a three speed fan switch for a single gang box exists? I have talked to Hunter and Hampton Bay customer service people. When I ask this question there is a pregnant pause and then the answer is no. When I ask why not they start making things up. They make them for incandence bulbs and I like them. Will my option in the future be to install a double gang box and use two separate switches, one dimmer and one fan?

Any body out there know if a combination light/fan switch with a dimmer for dimmable CFL's and/or LED's and a three speed fan switch for a single gang box exists? I have talked to Hunter and Hampton Bay customer service people. When I ask this question there is a pregnant pause and then the answer is no. When I ask why not they start making things up. They make them for incandence bulbs and I like them. Will my option in the future be to install a double gang box and use two separate switches, one dimmer and one fan?
Only the marketing people know why or why not and they will not tell you because they will think you are a corporate spy.

You might try home automation or electronic hobbyist sites.
With the proper encoders/decoders/multiplexors you can transmit all kinds of different signals on the same wire at the same time (as far as we notice) as a serial bit stream, like the USB uses.

Just as how motion detectors can be put into several different 'states' with just a single on-off switch turned on and off within specified time periods you could have a similar device having a few more states at the destination appliance, your fan.

In this case the 120vac would go to the fan and the switch would only see signal levels: 0 to 5vdc, 4 to 20 mA, whatever. For a three speed fan there would be three relays and a CFL or LED compatible dimmer, all controlled by an on-board decoder.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back