Dishwasher Leaking?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobeppo

Reaction score
Just noticed leaking in the basement and i am 80% sure its the dish washer ..any idea where i can start? I assume by 1st pulling out of its cubby under the cabinet.

Thanks much!
Joe D.

The kick panel at the bottom of the dishwasher can be removed. From there you may be able to see if it is a supply or drain problem.

I've seen this before ... often it is the seal around the door or a leakage in the supply/drain hoses. Sometimes, it is a simple as having something in the door when it was closed, causing a leak. It can get as complex as a cracked seal . . .

Just gotta get down on your knees and start hunting. Remove the kickplate then turn on the DW. Get your big flashlight and scan the underside for leaks. Pay close attention to the door seal. Proceed as necessary.;)

Have you changed soaps recently?

I spread dry newspaper underneath and check it; how often depends on how many drops per day you are losing.
The paper gives you "the X-Y coordinates" of the leak but sometimes the water runs along horizontally before it drops down.

To really find the "X-Y coordinates" spread graph paper under there.

Disconnect the washer and/or turn off breaker. Remove access panel, take a look, you might see leak.
Turn off water supply. Dry it all out under there with fan and hair dryer. Then spread your paper. If floor is wet you'll never see the drips. Turn on water supply. Check for leak.
Run it thru a cycle and watch. Stop cycle when unit is full but before it starts wash. Check
Run thru wash, stop before drain cycle. Check
Let it drain. Check.
If water is running across frame or something before dripping DO NOT go reaching up under there trying to find where its coming from without turning breaker off first. If leak seems to be high and running down, use paper towel strips wrapped around and tucked in places, and start high and work down till it gets wet.

Door seals dry out, get bent out of shape. Gunk can build up at the bottom between door and seal where you can't see it without sticking your head in there.
If your power and water lines are long enough. pull it out from under cabinet and run a cycle where you can get a good look.

Check that every hose and water connection is tight, including drain hose connection under sink. Check for pinholes, cracks in hoses.

Last edited:
To really find the "X-Y coordinates" spread graph paper under there.
I stand corrected! :D

1" x 1" squares should provide enough precision.
Should I start hiring illegals to print up these things for the dishwasher industry? Maybe I should first hire a lobbyist. . .:(

Last edited:
Hi, Thank you all for your replies of support... Well its a Sears Kenmore Model 363.14074790,

I opened up the kick plate and gave the dishwasher a start up and was able to see the leaking. I have attached a picture. Looks like its dripping right out the bottom of what looks to be a motor / pump ?? Seems to stop and go with regards to cycling.

CallmeVilla metioned a cracked Seal..???

Still in process...will be sure to keep updating here as I can get time and make the progress on this one..

Have a great Day.
JD

IMG-20121116-00126.jpg

A GE built Kenmore.

Leaking at the motor and pump assembly.
*Some* may be rebuilt with new seals, some cannot if too rusted or such.

http://www.applianceaid.com/ge-dishwasher-repair-help.php

Pump-and-Motor-Assembly-WD26X10013-00858827.jpg

Dishwasher motor and pump kit. Note: This part may not look like your old motor and pump assembly. It is a new kit designed by the manufacturer. Manufacturer Number WD26X10013

jeff.

jo, that may be a hard leak to locate. It could be up inside the tub and running down outside or inside the motor housing. Since is "Seems to stop and go with regards to cycling." I'd check the connections from the pump outlet to the arms first before I'd go taking the motor and pump assembly off. Could be a loose hose, crack in one of the plastic parts, or something simple like that.

I have what I think is the same model under GE name. There are parts that are fastened with some very understrength plastic clips, that are very easy to break. Take a look here, there are two small tabs that hold the lower arm in place. They're hard to see and get to. They have to be gently pried outwards to release the arm. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...Model-36314074790/0582/0130000/P8080218/00003
Man, are those tabs easy to break. And they're an integral part of a larger part that costs about $90. If they should break, I can tell you how to make a repair out of a plastic jar lid. Cost nothing but time.

No need to hire anybody, wuzzy, as you can see from jeff's pitcher, appliance parts dealers already got graphs. Unfortunatly I can't find part number for graph, only seems to come with other parts.

Back