DIY Grill Island

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyedoc

Reaction score
Hi All,
I decided to take up on a Quarantine Project of building my own Grill Island.
I am keeping it simple using Pavestones to put it together.
I am aware of venting requirements for Propane tanks, but have a questions about Charcoal.

My Island is 90 inches wide, with my drop-in gas grill about 36 inches.
Im thinking about putting a small about 24inches wide Park Style Charcoal grill on the other end.

Question is...am I out of my mind? Is the charcoal to burn too dangerous to have a foot or so from the Gas Cylinder? I wouldnt have thought about it...but i have seen plenty of Combo Gas/Charcoal Grills, which I feel would be the same thing. Right not the island is mostly hollow in between, but I can definitely put a concrete wall between the gas and coal grill.

Thoughts please?

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 4
As long as your propane lines are away and protected, go for it. Most complex bbq islands have a smoker, a charcoal and a propane bbq. Many also have mini fridges and a small sink, if ya got the room. I just helped my neighbor, who even included a propane wok, a propane griddle, and a propane separate burner. It's a beaut!

As long as your propane lines are away and protected, go for it. Most complex bbq islands have a smoker, a charcoal and a propane bbq. Many also have mini fridges and a small sink, if ya got the room. I just helped my neighbor, who even included a propane wok, a propane griddle, and a propane separate burner. It's a beaut!
Thanks Havasu.
Any advice on material to use? I have ready some scary stories about using concrete slabs.

Cheers.

@buckeyedoc Do those stories have to do with the concrete exploding when tiny pockets of air and water in them boil and expand? I read about that when I was looking into a DIY fire pit. The advice I saw was to use firebricks to line any areas where there'll be actual fire.

With my neighbors, we used pressure treated lumber and secured it to his concrete deck. We then lined the wood with concrete backer board, installed rope lights under the ledges. We then cut the appliances in, added a GFCI for the lighting and power, then tiles all surfaces except the front, which was stuccoed to match the house. Added a 1" all weather plywood for the bartop, tiles that, sealed everything in a weatherproof sealer, then added an alumawood structure overhead, and he has a complete outdoor entertainment center/kitchen combo.

Back