DIY snaking

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TxBuilder

All my water lines are plugged up right now. Plumber can't be here till tomorrow afternoon.

I thought about renting a motorized snake and doing it myself.

Is it easy to damage your pipes with a snake?

depends what you use.

I suggest you buy a snake that fits into a cordless drill to at least get the drains to function enough for use. then have the plumber do a routing with the more complicated setup and bits.

Ace

Rental store can show you how to use a power snake. Not hard and not much chance of doing any damage

If they are plugged up, is it because you have galvanized piping?
If you do, then the best thing to do would be to replace the entire set up. You DONT want to "root out" galvanized piping, because all your going to do is get rust stirred up, and all kind of gunk.
(Believe me, I did this, when I first got this house I am living in, I rooted out all the pipes by shoving a rod through them, and then got to thinking, what am I doing? I am NOT going to DRINK out of this pipe after all the rust I have seen coming out of them! So, I went and put plastic lines in, until I got around to putting in 3/4 copper piping later on.

Jesse

Back