Do I need more than base paint?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
This Valspar is what I plan on getting. I currently have light tan walls with the exception of a Red wall in the Kitchen and a Light Blue wall in the laundry room, which makes as much sense as a Football bat to me. IF I like how this base works, do I need to do more than that? To me, "base" means before the regular paint, but I'm not doing anything extra. The 14 year old walls look fine, but I'm doing pre-sale work and putting in vinyl floors after, so I figured paint before scrapping the carpets.

Thanks.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-Si...aint-Actual-Net-Contents-124-fl-oz/1000525217

Thats a good question, actually.

Base is whats in the bucket before they add the pigment. But if you like the color as is, do they commonly use it without pigment -- I don't know, but probably nothing wrong with that. They probably have at least half a dozen versions of white that they could tint that to.

I notices that you selected semi-gloss. Semi-gloss is normally used for baseboard, door casing and doors. Walls are typically less sheen, perhaps eggshell.

The base he has is white it is the light base and could be used as a bright un-tinted white. There is also deep base they use to make dark colors and it is pretty clear and wont work well as paint.

Thanks. I forgot to mention it had to be VOC free, as that Valspar is. I'm not locked into that brand, but that's all I'm finding at Lowe's. I see they do have an Eggshell version, so I think I might be done here.

Other than that, does anyone have a reason to stay away from Valspar? I ask because it's $27, while Sherwin Williams Harmony is $58.

Last edited:
Around here, oil based paints for general purpose interior applications have pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird. They are all water based which have zero, or close-to-zero VOCs, depending on the particular product.

Myself, I go to a real paint store and buy the good stuff. Yes, its expensive.

Around here, oil based paints for general purpose interior applications have pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird. They are all water based which have zero, or close-to-zero VOCs, depending on the particular product.

Myself, I go to a real paint store and buy the good stuff. Yes, its expensive.
Huh. That Valspar is the only one I found on Lowe's site that was No VOC. Maybe I'm blinded by their current rebate. I would be willing to go to a real paint store if I was staying here forever, but for now I just want simple and looks good.

I normally use Aura. Zero VOC's, but I am not particularly sensitive anyways.

Aura.jpg

Thanks. The store here has the Regal Eggshell at $58 a gallon, which is to the dollar twice as much as Lowe's Valspar. Being that I know as much about paint as 15th Century Solo cups, is there really that much of a difference?

Back