do i need this vent

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topher5150

Reaction score
I painted the siding that the roofers replaced when they did the flashing, and I noticed the siding below the roof was loose from the vent to about half way down. Well turns out the 2x4's under the vent are pretty well rotted out. It seems the placement, and neglect of this vent caused a lot of damage, is it worth keeping that vent there?
There is a sizable enough gap where the roofs meetvent.jpg

That is an addition that was put on the house a long time ago, so it's just the original roof running underneath that and an insulated area above the ceiling. Where the Two roofs meet there is a decent gap, also there is another identical vent in about the same place on the other side.

Then don't cover it because without the appropriate number of eave vents, the required ventilation will not be met.

Roof areas should allow for intake of air ait the rave and exhaust at the ridge or highest point. If, you have a functional vent system, close them off because they will turn into intake vents. Air always take the path of least resistance. If there's little pathway for air to move from the lower slope to the upper, I'd leave them.

Back