Do I need to tape on this drywall repair.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likiud

Reaction score
I replaced carpet to hardwood floors. The carpet wrapped pretty low around this step. The step is just a drop to the laundry room. As a result after removing it, the hardwood floor nosing doesn't cover it that well so the flooring guys attached a piece of hardwood to cover it. I'm thinking of removing it and putting drywall on it instead to give it a more streamlined look. Because it's a step, it's fully supported by wood behind it. I think the piece of drywall is no more than 2 inches. My question is do I need to tape it? Or is it okay to just apply mud and sand.

Thanks
ce661aa2dcfee57f1b58a0db5cc03eb2.jpg

Always tape. But I think the wood is the right thing to have there. Even if you fill that with drywall you want a trim against the step. So paint that piece of wood the same as the floor molding.

Always tape. But I think the wood is the right thing to have there. Even if you fill that with drywall you want a trim against the step. So paint that piece of wood the same as the floor molding.
I'm not sure if I like how it looks with that piece of wood. The piece of wood is essentially the wood floor that they put on. Essentially the nosing is on, but they tucked that piece of wood under to cover up the barewood underneath it. I kinda want to look like how it is in the picture below.
950825d5352f861628fc5b8b093213c7.jpg

The wood in your picture would never be drywall it would be paint grade wood. But yes you can do that but I would use tape and when you apply a coat of filler leave it smooth as you can so you have less sanding.

The wood in your picture would never be drywall it would be paint grade wood. But yes you can do that but I would use tape and when you apply a coat of filler leave it smooth as you can so you have less sanding.
If I use tape, can I cut it in half so that it's about 1 inch wide instead of 2 inches and have the same effect? I don't want to remove the baseboard at the bottom and have to end up buying a nailer just to reinstall that.

If I use tape, can I cut it in half so that it's about 1 inch wide instead of 2 inches and have the same effect? I don't want to remove the baseboard at the bottom and have to end up buying a nailer just to reinstall that.

I think you will have room to work above the base mold.
BTW they nailed molding on for a few hundred years before the had naillers.:)

Latest posts

Back