Dog dug through wall... what type of wall is it?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wraith_Daquell

Christian
Reaction score
I'm a new home owner with a puppy... who took it upon herself to try to dig through a wall in her room. I have researched it ad nauseum, but I don't know what type of wall this is. It was constructed, as far as I can tell, in the past 20 years. The best I can guess is that it's drywall with some sort of insulation? Or is it just drywall and she didn't manage to puncture it? The claw marks from her nails are about 1 inch deep.

Any help? Thanks!

drywallproblem002.jpg
drywallproblem001.jpg

Looks like drywall, just get some joint compound and fill it. Pick up a wide blade a fill it with 3 or 4 coats, keep the edges clean as you go and keep it as smooth as you can so you have little sanding when you are done.

>1" thk drywall?

I guess you could scrape off a cubic inch or cubic centimeter of this white material and weigh it. Almost certainly gypsum is not the same density as plaster.
http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm
Seems like plaster is less dense.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I'm going to assume it's drywall, then, and go from there. It seems a little thick to be drywall, but then it's on an outside wall so the builder might have picked the thickest type for insulation sake. I live in a cold area.

Back