Door frame question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underdog

Reaction score
Ok, I have a situation where the doors are an odd size and cannot be found again, they are just a fraction of an inch from being able to be replaced in the same frame. They are barely smaller than average doors that are found commonly in stock.

If I replace the whole frame, doesn't that mean that the frame won't be the same size too?

Will I have to shave the studs down with the new frame or how does that work.

Want to know before I get committed. Keep in mind you are not talking to a carpenter, although I've seen them played on TV.

Thanks, Tracy

The rough opening width should be 2" bigger than the door and the new door frame should fit with a little space so if you have
31 3/4 for a 30" door you may get lucky. You may also find that the height is wrong too. Interier door got a little taller somewhere along the way. Making the hole bigger is not that big of a deal unless your working on a bearing wall. For height you can remove the 2x4 that is on flat above the door, and for width you cut One stud at the top of the door, there are 2 on each side. Remove on and replace it with a peice of 1x4. A sawsall is the tool of choice.

Thank you very much. I'll take this into consideration as I take new measurements. I should be going into the big city tomorrow and this will help.
Didn't think about the height.

nealtw, provided precise measurement, height does play an important role in fixing the door. Do post some pics when you are done with your work. windows replacement

Last edited:
Back