Door header and trim thickness

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_vo

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm trying to achieve what can be seen on this picture. There's a little detail that I'm not sure how to do. I'd like to have the header slightly thicker than the side trims so it will stand out more. However, MDF mouldings I bought are the same thickness. What are your suggestions on getting the header out a little, say by 1/8"?
Thanks all,
Matt
photo.PNG

I just never use MDF for any molding. Tends to fall apart at the first sign of moisture.
Use 5/4 pine for the header, not 3/4"

Thanks!
Yea, never worked with MDF either, but it's cheaper and thought I'd give it a try.
Didn't see any 5/4 boards MDF. Might just get pine for the headers.

Matt

MDF is ok, not great, I'd never use it in a damp area, and it's harder to finish an outside corner with it because it tends to fuss up.

Joe; I used mdf preprimed molding in my place. I like it because it is straight ,no cracks and no knots. I came home one day to a half inch of water on my laminate flooring. I was really surprized that I had no dammage to the molding. I'm sure if left longer it would have been a problem but pine or other woods would also swell and support mold growth, so both would need to be replaced.
It cuts nice and I have no problem with outside corners. And yes my floor is now tiled.

Latest posts

Back