Door Lock

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjohnston

Reaction score
I have a strange need. I am having a crew remodel my basement. I would like to put an exterior door lock on my basement door, so the crew can't roam the rest of the house. BUT I have a 3 year old son, and I use a privacy door lock with the emergency key thing so he can't unlock the door and go down...

I just purchased an entry door lever, and will put the key toward the basement, but would like to replace the lock button from the twist style, to the emergency style, the type I have now is identical to the twist type, but has a slot instead of the actual turn button, so it requires a flat head screw driver or something to turn it...

Can I pop off the twist button on the new knob, and replace it with the other type since they are both twist? and if so, how do I pop the twist button thing off?

No there isn't a way to convert the lockset.

You'd be better served installing a double cylinder deadbolt, which is keyed both ways.

Can you post some pictures? Also, since you just bought it the make and model number of your new lockset.

Snoonyb's recommendation for a double keyed deadbolt is a solid idea, if your 3 year can master the operation of one with a thumb latch. You'll want to keep a key close to the lock so you can open it quickly, though I assume this is not a normal egress for you. I assume your workcrew comes and goes directly from the outside entrance to the basement.

Last edited:
ok, yeah I thought about a double cylinder, but they don't have a double cylinder that matches the rest of my house (I know, I'm picky). my doors are the lever style, and the only double cylinder I see are knob or deadbolt...

Below is a link to the set I got. and also a set like the rest of my house.

yes, the work crew will come and go through basement door (their idea, because I'm nervous about people being in my house without anyone there).

yes, my 3 year old opens those types of locks all the time, so the lock that is on the basement currently is actually installed revers, so the turn lock is toward the basement, and the emergency lock faces the main level to keep him from going down by himself. lol :(

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-...for_pickup_3062592-_-product_desc__W783856417

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-...for_pickup_3062592-_-product_desc__W783856417

Last edited:
You have a couple of options; Take your lockset to a locksmith and pay them to covert it, at the rate of $50+, call the lockset mfg. a see if the have a solution OOOOORRRRR, because the contractors will likely not be there forever, install the deadbolt and close your eyes when you go in to the basement.

LOL I like the close your eyes comment. LOL

Thanks for your help. I just didn't know if they made double Cylinder levers. to bad they don't. but guess its not a common need.

They are mfg., however at a rate of $150+ and you can find them at a hrdw. supplier of commercial hrdw., not ACE, Home desperado or low-n-brow.

Back