Double up wax rings or use an adapter?

Help Support House Repair Talk:

dborns

Reaction score
I recently had some new tile and backer board installed. Yesterday, me and my brother in law tried to set the toilet. When it went down, it didn’t feel like the wax ring compressed much, so he suggested doubling up wax rings.
We did that but in the process of trying to line up the bolts, he lifted it and the water in the tank went all over the floor.... We had to lift it a few times to get fingers under there to line the bolts up, so I’m sure the wax was pretty screwed up by the time we got it set.
It was all installed and it looked like a little water was seeping out from under the toilet. I wasn’t sure if it was residual from when the bowl got tipped, or if it was leaking, so I took it back up.
Long story sorry. So I bought two more rings, and a thin plastic adapter for the flange. Should I just double up the wax rings, or try the adapter with one ring? The current flange is flush with the floor and I’ve got an extra thick ring and a standard one.

Johnboy555

Reaction score
I've had good luck using this. Uses wax to seal to flange, poly to seal to bowl, positioning tabs to stay in place, and the height flexibility to seal almost any distance (within reason of course).

dborns

Reaction score
I’ve seen those silicone ones before but never used them and was wondering how well they worked. I hate cleaning up that nasty wax too...

Snoonyb

Reaction score
One wax ring should be enough, now that you know to empty all the water from the WC, before working on, or near the closet flange.
The bolt replacement kit comes with body nuts to hold the bolts in place.

dborns

Reaction score
Yeah, I learned long ago to use a shop vac to empty the water before moving it. My brother in law lifted it before I had a chance to say anything.... No problem, it didn’t go anywhere except the tile floor.

billshack

Reaction score
I have used double wax seals under some conditions, BTW Always sponge out all parts of a toilet, tank and bowl.

WyrTwister

Reaction score
I have used these for the last 10 - 20 years on our toilets , in stead of wax rings . Available in 3" , 3-1/2" and 4" sizes . Sticks to the underneath of the toilet stool / bowl , at the discharge and sticks down , into the flange .

God bless
Wyr

Latest posts