Double up wax rings or use an adapter?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dborns

Reaction score
I recently had some new tile and backer board installed. Yesterday, me and my brother in law tried to set the toilet. When it went down, it didn’t feel like the wax ring compressed much, so he suggested doubling up wax rings.
We did that but in the process of trying to line up the bolts, he lifted it and the water in the tank went all over the floor.... We had to lift it a few times to get fingers under there to line the bolts up, so I’m sure the wax was pretty screwed up by the time we got it set.
It was all installed and it looked like a little water was seeping out from under the toilet. I wasn’t sure if it was residual from when the bowl got tipped, or if it was leaking, so I took it back up.
Long story sorry. So I bought two more rings, and a thin plastic adapter for the flange. Should I just double up the wax rings, or try the adapter with one ring? The current flange is flush with the floor and I’ve got an extra thick ring and a standard one.

I’ve seen those silicone ones before but never used them and was wondering how well they worked. I hate cleaning up that nasty wax too...

One wax ring should be enough, now that you know to empty all the water from the WC, before working on, or near the closet flange.
The bolt replacement kit comes with body nuts to hold the bolts in place.

Yeah, I learned long ago to use a shop vac to empty the water before moving it. My brother in law lifted it before I had a chance to say anything.... No problem, it didn’t go anywhere except the tile floor.

I have used double wax seals under some conditions, BTW Always sponge out all parts of a toilet, tank and bowl.

Latest posts

Back