drainage for concrete blocks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyb11

Reaction score
Need to provide excellent drainage for a small area where I'd like to lay 8 concrete blocks but normally fills with water. Is a bed of gravel and sand sufficient or can I put in some form of weeping tile below? How?

Thanks,
Marty

normally fills with water.

Pour a known quantity of water into the area, say a few gallons, and time how long it takes to drain 'low enough'. The first gallon may move faster than the last gallon.

For worst case pick a time when the soil is already saturated from previous rainfalls. If the groundwater level is high in your area you may need to pump or pipe this water elsewhere.

Compare this drain rate with the expected rainfall and rainfall rates in your area. The best rain gauge I ever had is a 5 gal. bucket set upright in my truck bed but a coffee can will also work.

You have silt, sand or clay in your yard?
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=silt+sand+clay+permeability&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Clay to sand gives a 1:100 permeability ratio so proper construction is very important.

Last edited:
Back