Drill press stand: how is this supposed to work?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
Somebody gave me a drill press stand, kind of like this one: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/332160570200-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

I'd love to use it, but I don't understand how my power drill is supposed to sit in there. The round vertical opening is obviously supposed to receive the chuck of the drill, but the chuck on my drill spins right along with the bit while the drill is being operated! (As I think the chucks on most drills do.) That would either create a lot of friction and heat and probably ruin either my drill or the stand or both, or else cause my drill itself to try to spin if the chuck were clamped down hard enough to remain stationary.

Any advice? Do I need a different kind of drill? Admittedly I haven't gotten the drill press stand down from storage since I moved so I haven't played around with it.

The body of the drill, not the chuck, of many sizes, clamp into the device.

Those devices are usually designed to be used with one specific brand and model of drill.

A lot of larger drills and hammer drills have a setting to shut off the hammer action have a boss for second hand hold. That boss is what would be clamped to.

Here is an example.
bosch-electrical-drill-500x500.jpg

You need a drill with that smooth ring that does not move with the chuck. 1/2" corded drills come with that optional handle like what Bud posted.

That's what I was afraid of.

Well, I haven't tried my corded drill in the stand yet, only my cordless DeWalt (which I no longer have a working battery for anyway). So I'll see if my corded drill has a part on the body that can be clamped in there, and if not, I guess the stand will be staying up on the high shelf until I buy a new drill in a few decades!

If the only problem with using the Dewalt is the dead battery then it sounds like you need one of these to turn that cordless drill into a dedicated drill press drill...

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01HHS1CTA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I also had one of those a while back but it had more of a universal type strap that I also used with my cordless drills. It worked ok until I pushed it too hard and broke the plastic handle. That was my own fault though.

Last edited:
If the only problem with using the Dewalt is the dead battery then it sounds like you need one of these to turn that cordless drill into a dedicated drill press drill...

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01HHS1CTA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I also had one of those a while back but it had more of a universal type strap that I also used with my cordless drills. It worked ok until I pushed it too hard and broke the plastic handle. That was my own fault though.
Is there one of those for a 12V Dewalt tool?

That DeWalt battery adapter only works with their battery sliding compound miter saw, nothing else.

Is there one of those for a 12V Dewalt tool?

I've never used an adaptor like that. I saw one for a drill in a YouTube video but if I recall correctly I believe it was a guy who lives in Australia (if I recall correct I believe it was an EEVblog video but I may be mistaken about that). I thought it was a great way to make use of a drill once the battery dies. But haven't tried finding one for any of my drills yet. I may try making one once I have an old battery that I can piece apart and build a circuit board inside.

I only did a quick Amazon search last night (3 am for me at that time) and that was the first I came across. I believe the adaptor that I saw was for a drill that he had and not a miter saw so I suspect there is probably another adaptor that will work but knowing that guy and his videos it may have been an off shore brand and not a factory original.

Back