Drink glass leaves a ring on a wood coffee table

Discussion in 'Cleaning' started by jimmy50, Jun 29, 2010.

  1. Jun 29, 2010 #1

    jimmy50

    jimmy50

    jimmy50

    Active Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've always been a die-hard user of coasters when setting a drink down on virtually any type of surface. However, the other day a friend of mine put his glass down on a wood coffee table of mine without using a coaster and it left a ring in the shape of the bottom of the glass. I tried just wiping it off w/ a paper towel but no luck. Anyone have any suggestions so I don't have to refinish the entire table top?

    Thanks guys!
     
  2. Jun 29, 2010 #2

    Nestor_Kelebay

    Nestor_Kelebay

    Nestor_Kelebay

    Emperor Penguin

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Messages:
    1,844
    Likes Received:
    2
    Believe it or not, that's something similar to a clowd you're seeing inside the finish on your coffee table.

    Individual water molecules migrated into the finish and collected in tiny voids where sufficient space existed for extremely tiny droplets of liquid water to form. So, that white spot's closest analogy would be a "clowd". And, it's white for exactly the same reason that clowds and snowbanks and water falls and the head on a beer are all white, even though nothing inside any of these things is white in colour.

    Anyhow, just warm the area with a hair dryer to cause the water droplets to evaporate into H2O molecules, and they should find their way back out of the finish. Don't get the finish very hot, as that might cause the finish to get so soft that the evaporation of the water could cause the surface to blister. Just warm like it would be in the hot summer Sun to promote the transformation of the water droplets into water vapour so they can escape from the finish. What's preventing them from leaving now is the attraction between water molecules that causes them to stick together. You have to add heat to cause them to leave the group and migrate through the finish as individual H2O molecules, just like they went in.

    Some people suggest using a hot iron and soft cloth to do this kind of work, but if I were doing it, I'd use a hair dryer because it would allow me to see what's happening as I'm using the dryer. With a hot iron and cloth over the clowd, you can't actually see what's happening until you remove them. A hair dryer gives you visual feedback while things are happening.
     
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  3. Jun 29, 2010 #3

    elan123

    elan123

    elan123

    Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2010
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hair dryer will do, like he said, simple one and done... or iron and towel, but I think the hairdryer method is easiest.
     
  4. Jun 30, 2010 #4

    handyguys

    handyguys

    handyguys

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2008
    Messages:
    815
    Likes Received:
    2
    yup - worst think you can do is to try and "clean" the ring off. That will remove some finish and make the damage permanent. The ring might just dry on its own too.
     
  5. Jun 30, 2010 #5

    Nestor_Kelebay

    Nestor_Kelebay

    Nestor_Kelebay

    Emperor Penguin

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Messages:
    1,844
    Likes Received:
    2
    Does anyone know which wood finishes are susceptible to water marks?

    I've been told it's only nitocellulose lacquer. So far as I know, neither drying oil based "varnish" nor alkyd based polyurethane are susceptible to water marks.
     
  6. Jul 2, 2010 #6

    jimmy50

    jimmy50

    jimmy50

    Active Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you everyone!! This sure was easier than I thought!! Appreciate all the help!
     
  7. Jul 3, 2010 #7

    oldognewtrick

    oldognewtrick

    oldognewtrick

    Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2009
    Messages:
    10,821
    Likes Received:
    1,436
    Jimmy, which method did you try and how did it turn out?
     
  8. Aug 4, 2010 #8

    jimmy50

    jimmy50

    jimmy50

    Active Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    I put a dry cloth down and set my iron on a low/medium heat and worked it over the surface and voila...thanks guys!
     
  9. Aug 17, 2010 #9

    keikoling

    keikoling

    keikoling

    New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    i'm so glad i dropped by here in this forum..
    i have no idea that you can use either hair dryer or iron and cloth to remove that clowd..now i know.. :D:p
     
  10. Aug 19, 2010 #10

    jimmy50

    jimmy50

    jimmy50

    Active Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    Glad this helped you too keikoling!!
     
  11. Aug 24, 2010 #11

    FLGarageDoors

    FLGarageDoors

    FLGarageDoors

    Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2009
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    Interesting solution! I've never tried this hair dryer thingy; I've always just used orange oil (the kind especially formulated for furniture) and it works. I'll try this next time :)
     

Share This Page