drip cap

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott50

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace rotted 2-3/4 inch wide drip cap on 100 year old sears home. I can't find it anywhere. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Welcome.
Is this related to a door, window or roof?

There is a good chance that you will have to contact a distributor, to find an extruder, for that material.

To find a piece of 100 year old molding for a Sears and Roebuck home might be a tall order today. I know of a few methods to get you something that will work that I have done in the past. The simplest is if you don’t need a perfect match buy the closest they make today and maybe rip something taller down to the right height and call it a day. Sometimes on the back or side of the house this is something that is ok as it is not visible. Sometimes I have removed a good piece from an area you can,t see and use it in the front and then did the above.

Secondly you can see if you can make the shape using 2 or more common shapes.

Lastly and the best method is to find a mill shop near you and go in with a piece and ask them if they have mill blades to make you that shape. It is a fairly simple shape they would have no trouble making. Have them run you off a few lengths and save them for later.

it looks like it is one you could make your self, what are the dimensions and can you post a picture of one installed now.

https://azekexteriors.com/products/moulding/detail-sills
AZM-197_Drip_Cap.png

If you use the Azek product or one of the competitors PVC you will never have to worry about rot again and no one will know it's not wood.

100_0260.jpg 100_0263.jpg size is 2-11/16" x 17/16"
thanks everyone for your replies. I'm looking into having my step son cut it.
I would love to use pvc but I cannot find it wide enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back