Drip off AC Interior Coil

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
If you look up into the AC after removing the vent, the A shape of the coil is dripping about half way down in the middle. The drain line is not clogged. I have a large air compressor and blew it out, air comes ripping out the drain line outside, so that's clear.

Dirty coil?

I believe water is also going through the drain line.

So what your saying is that you expect to see more condensate and/or evenly distributed across the coil (up/down, left/right).

I don't expect any condensation to be dripping off the coils down into the area where the filter draws water. That is what is happening. There are drips from both sides of the coil down into the air draw area however, the line is not clogged.

I would guess over six years ago. How often do coils need to be removed and cleaned, I've always assumed it was a job for someone with access to the refrigerant because you have to charge after removal don't you?

Always expect some condensation off the coils if the system is working correctly.
You don't have to remove the coil to clean it but, you will need access to the coils themselves.
If your seeing condensate in the air draw area but, not the condensate drain lines, then chances are the drip pan for the A-coil has a hole in it.
If this is the case (and they can be hard to find given the amount of clearance) you can replace the pan or line it with tin foil.

Is it an up flow or down flow furnace ?

Is the A-Coin on top or on bottom .

Is water being " blown " from the coil area to other parts of the furnace / duct ?

I had to " re-level " my furnace to give it a slight slope towards the drain outlet .

Wyr
God bless

Back