Dropping Landline

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I am thinking of dropping my landline. I have a cellphone (flip) that I pay $25 for 120 days. Of course it's minutes limited but I can get it unlocked and switch to Ting Wireless and have unlimited minutes for $10 per month. Is there any reason not to drop a landline?

oldognewtrick

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
We dropped our landline 5 years ago. Only people who called were telemarketers. Haven't missed it yet.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I dropped my land line 8 years ago and it has been no issues. We get our internet from the cable company and when the guy came to hook it up he tried selling us the package of TV, phone and internet and i told him just internet. When we are in or around the house the smart phones connect to the internet anyway. We have an antenna and get 17 local TV channels and we only use it for local news for the most part and stream all our other TV from the internet.

The only people I know that still have land lines are people that where their house is located are in a dead zone.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
My internet comes from the phone company but I think I can drop the phone and retain the internet as they are separate on the bill. My TV is OTA using a homemade antenna (Stealth Hawk). I find that I can stream most TV programs after the fact using either ROKU or a HDMI cable. Some require a subscription to view on ROKU but will stream free via HDMI from my Chromebook.

Last edited:

Sparky617

Reaction score
I held on to my landline for more years than I should have. We dropped it earlier this year when we switched to Google Fiber and dropped CATV at the same time. We were increasingly only getting spam/telemarketers calls. Haven't missed it.

Latest posts