Dry-Lok question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmlsnafu

Reaction score
Just had my sidewalk pathways slabjacked to lift and slope them away from the house, now turning my attention to the basement itself.
Not sure if there is an exterior parge on the walls, and I am getting efflorescence on the lower foundation blocks inside.
I picked up a product called Dry-Lok (concrete waterproofer), just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it, and whether it will do any good.
(I'm hoping that the existing moisture in the block is to blame for the efflorescence, otherwise this is pretty much a moot point.)

Also, any tips on framing a bulkhead around existing ductwork and piping would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure you clean the efflorescence as mentioned on the label etc. Mainly, follow cans directions and you should have no issues. As far as framing, just make sure you leave some room, say at least a 1/2" min close to any pipes/ducts, to prevent any vibration or rattling sounds, say when the furnace runs etc, and plan for any access in the future (if needed) if you possible.
Good luck!

Welcome to the Forum TMLsnafu:
I have used Dry-Lok before with outstanding results.caution:be sure you have adequate ventilation, the Dry-Lok fumes are deadly.
The bulkhead also could be built with metalframe and lay-in tile for less complication. Let us know how it all turns out and we like pictures too.
Glenn

Thanks for the info and the welcome. Found out about the fumes about 30 seconds in. (That'll teach me to read the label next time.)
Never thought about using a drop ceiling frame-in for a bulkhead, it's an intriguing (and less time consuming) idea. Especially due to the junction boxes and fixtures I still need access to.
I'll break out the digital camera and keep track of the progress - I already have two albums full of before and afters from previous projects, guess I'll keep going.

Latest posts

Back