Dryer Ducts

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house92

Reaction score
Are clothes -dryer ducts not made to go on easily? Apparently I had not had to fool with one for many years, but I got one to put on a new dryer, and I assumed it would just slip right on, but it didn't. It's as though it's the exact size of the place that it needs to slip on. The ducts come with clamps to hold them on, so why are they not made to go on more easily?

You probably already know this, but the connector coming out of the dryer should go inside the plain end of the new duct. Then the crimped end of that duct would go inside the next piece of duct.

Also, I just had an inspection at one of my rental properties, and the inspector stated that no screws can be used to hold dryer ducting together. You are only allowed to use tape. It makes sense, since screws trap dryer lint, but I had never known that before.

I needed 4 sections of vent not long ago and it comes at Home Depot not snapped together down the length. I told the guy helping me I would buy it but only if he snapped them together he said no problem. After he mangled about 8 of them beyond use and I saw there were only 4 left I said never mind and I snapped them together myself when I got home. Sometimes that stuff can be buggers and sometime it just falls together.

I have recrimped the male ends before even on a dryer to make it a little smaller.

I’m using the flexible duct. I do t ever remember having any issues with it slipping right on in the past.

Has anyone tried this vent kit? https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-Outdoor-Exhaust-Dryer-Vent-Kit/4753392

We're installing a dryer at church this weekend and I plan on using it for the final connection between the dryer and the rigid duct that is going up the wall and across the ceiling.

To the OP, I really don't like the flexible duct in your picture, it is one small step above the plastic stuff.

I’m using the flexible duct. I do t ever remember having any issues with it slipping right on in the past.
If your using the plastic flex line, that is venting for bath vents not dryer vent. I've always used hard vent and have had very few issues.

It's not a good idea to use the flexible ducts for dryers. The corrugation along the sides will catch lint, and the vent will soon be plugged, or nearly plugged, with lint.

Latest posts

Back