Dryer vent?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdeal1

Reaction score
So not to sound dumb but I can’t figure out what this vent goes to.

picture one is what I thought was the dryer vent but with the dryer running the flap opens on the second one?

Attachments

• B1A9184E-EA4A-4C1D-8027-15F23B2FFE09.jpeg
    B1A9184E-EA4A-4C1D-8027-15F23B2FFE09.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 22
So not to sound dumb but I can’t figure out what this vent goes to.

picture one is what I thought was the dryer vent but with the dryer running the flap opens on the second one?

Attachments

• 3DD92733-9763-4407-80C1-F77A32BBC1EE.jpeg
    3DD92733-9763-4407-80C1-F77A32BBC1EE.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 13
Right here then the one above is the master bath one

Attachments

• 1A375516-FAF7-4CBB-AD78-0E30CA76A783.jpeg
    1A375516-FAF7-4CBB-AD78-0E30CA76A783.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 9
No. My washer and dryer are on the second floor the one on the backside of the house photo one is directly behind it.

turned the dryer off and the flap on side of the house closed

Attachments

• 043515E9-0B0F-4CD0-A042-07B9DE04E29D.jpeg
    043515E9-0B0F-4CD0-A042-07B9DE04E29D.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 4
The reason I started this is because I wanted to make sure my dryer vent is free and clear as we haven’t done this since we moved in 3 years ago.
It just feels really warm in the area the dryer is kept and I wanted to ensure it wasn’t blocked. So then I found this mystery vent that I thought was the dryer vent because of proximity to the dryer.

It could be a cold or combustion air intake for a water heater , or another gas fired appliance.

Does it have a flap? If so, it wouldn't be an intake or at least a very effective intake. I have one in my laundry room the builder added when I had them run a gas line for a dryer. It is a fresh air intake and doesn't have a flap. Birds were building nests in it the first year we lived in the house and I had to fabricate a screen for it to keep them out.

Could also be Plan A on how to vent something. And Plan A didn't work out.

Thanks for the responses guys. Found the dryer vent. I’m going to ask in my neighborhood Facebook group and see if anyone knows what the other one is.

it just seemed logical to me that was the dryer one as it’s perfectly perpendicular to the dryer location on the second floor

I was concerned because it felt like the area where my dryer a that it was getting warm and maybe there was a clog because I didn’t feel any air coming out of there while the dryer was running.

bit the dryer vent was located on the top of the house.
I did find however there is exhaust escaping from the dryer vent part that connects around the actual duct work how do I make this connection tighter?

Thanks for the responses guys. Found the dryer vent. I’m going to ask in my neighborhood Facebook group and see if anyone knows what the other one is.

it just seemed logical to me that was the dryer one as it’s perfectly perpendicular to the dryer location on the second floor

I was concerned because it felt like the area where my dryer a that it was getting warm and maybe there was a clog because I didn’t feel any air coming out of there while the dryer was running.

bit the dryer vent was located on the top of the house.
I did find however there is exhaust escaping from the dryer vent part that connects around the actual duct work how do I make this connection tighter?
Is your dryer vent on your roof? I'm not a fan of that location for a couple of reasons: lint on the shingles and snow cover.

Latest posts

Back