drywall finishing techniques

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analogmusicman

Reaction score
after the new drywall is attached to the studs and mud is applied,then it's time to finish everything. so what's better,sanding or sponging? I know that sponging doesn't create much dust, but is it worth the effort? should I just sand and put up with all the dust?

tnx,

A power sander with a dust collection system is your best bet, and can be rented at most big box stores. If it is a small job, and the drywall is barely curing, then using a sponge is quick and easy.

Your best bet is to use thin coats of mud with wider and wider knives, work them as smooth as you can and between coats just scrape any rough edges off with a clean knife., Just a little sanding at the end.

:agree: That's how I do it. took me a while to evolve to this point. If you think you will be creating a lot of dust, hang drop cloths in the doorways.

BTW, the pros sand with one hand and hold a light in the other so they can get a better look at what's going on.

Back