Drywall inside corner

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
Replacing drywall (very old termite damage) around a back door from laundry room. I have one floor-to-ceiling inside corner and a 4-ft inside corner between the ceiling and wall above the door. Like most long-term home owners I have done lots of small drywall repairs but have never done anything like taping a corner. Given my inexperience, I would much rather use some kind of corner bead instead of just paper tape. From what I see on YouTube, it looks like vinyl bead might be easiest. However, it is very unlikely that the corners in this 70 year old house are straight or square.

Am I right that vinyl corner bead will be easiest for a beginner? If the corner isn't straight and square, should I take the plunge with paper tape or is the vinyl flexible enough to handle some variation? Thanks.

I'm od school and have the products, tape and patch, on hand, so in the time you would going to purchase, I'd be done.

The vinyl product, is flexible, and has tape, so the gain would be the squareness of the inside, of the inside corner.

Snoonyb, that sounds like it should work for me. Unless others report a different opinion, I will give it a try. Thanks.

I used this. It makes inside corners a lot easier for a DIYer. I didn't use an inside corner tool at all when using this. I bedded it in mud and then finished one side at a time, allowing the other side to dry before doing the next side. As I DIYer I have that luxury at home.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BEADEX-Brand-100-ft-Corner-Bead/50012438
You might be able to use this for an inside corner too. I've never tried it on an inside corner.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dietrich-Metal-Framing-1-in-x-8-ft-Paper-Faced-Metal-Corner-Bead/1000066789

Sparky, the two metal strips in the Beadex sounds like it would be more forgiving of wall imperfections than the vinyl, and certainly more forgiving than a solid metal strip. Thanks for the tip.

I like vinyl outside bead. It takes a bump without bending. The mud may pop off, but you won't have to repair a dent, just the missing mud. I used the rolled stuff for inside corners, one word of caution, you don't need a lot of mud, but because of that it is easy to sand through the paper on the inside corners.

Back