Drywall Joints.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The British chap I liked his idea. To me it looked like the eyelets that clamped to the sheet had a pretty big hole compared to the size of the hook. That would allow you to shimmy the sheet around maybe an inch after it was swung up and I could see that being close enough. Is the tool for a pro to replace a lift? I would say no. Is it easier to get into a basement and something someone could afford to buy? I would think yes. One of the things I liked about it was he looked like a normal old dude and it wasn’t a slick presentation, he was fumbling around just about what I would do trying to hook both hooks. I’m not sure why he made it two parts instead of connecting them together to avoid measurement stuff. I wouldn’t call it useless.

The guy with his DIY swing blocks I didn’t think was all that bad from a DIY point of view. I do a lot of jigging stuff up like that because I normally don’t have a helper. When I built the deck last fall out of used materials I sometimes had a half a dozen C clamps in play holding one end of something and bending it straight when I shot in a few screws in. Nothing wrong with jigging a job if it saves your back.

The swing ups wouldn’t have worked for me as a lot of my ceilings were not new construction and I had strips and or plaster behind my sheets. But then again I could see face mounting something with screws to do the same thing.

Sometimes a thread like this points out the difference between DIY and the way it would be done by a pro.

The other thought I had was, this channel they put up to help with sound proofing go across the joists and changes the direction of the drywall. Most rooms are 10, 12, or 14 feet wide. Could be done with full sheets and no but joints. 14 ft would be close to 100 lbs but can be done with two people.
The other thing that everyone misses is that the room is out of square and the walls arn't straight. If one sheet gets put up a little crooked it will screw up the the other offset joints.
If you are doing ceiling first measure out 48 1/4" at each end of the room and snap a chaulk line and then measure from the line to the wall in several places. Then you can fit them tight to a straight wall or to the line. If you are cutout for light fixture before putting the up and you are using the line take the measurement from the line.

Back