Duct Questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle1

Reaction score
A few years ago my HVAC guy told me I could move an ac duct that's inside a closet taking up space into the wall next to it.

That day has come but he's retired. Does anyone know what kind of duct/what size duct would fit inside a wall cavity? It's taking air from the attic above the second floor down to the first floor. My contractor said he can install but I have to supply the duct.

Do I have to do a rigid duct? Do they make a flex duct that fits in this space? Please be specific what it is called so I can find this product.

I supposed I also need a part that goes from a full size duct and converts to the in-wall duct. Thanks!

I'm not a HVAC tech so I'm not in tune to all the products that are out there. That said, I've never seen rectangular flex duct to fit into a 3 1/2" wall cavity. They do carry premade metal duct to fit into the 3 1/2" x 14 1/2" wall cavity between two studs. It comes in two pieces and snaps together.

What is your "regular" duct? Flex, metal, fiberglass, round, or rectangular? They make transition pieces.

Latest posts

Back