Durable Clear coat that is crystal clear (Not Polycrlic) for exterior applications?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vyacheslav

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am finishing up my bathroom remodel. I painted my original 1947 ceramic tile in the bathroom. Before you all groan, my prep process was meticulous, and I achieved very good results that I am very happy with. I did NOT do the tub or the floors, just the vertical walls, so the long term durability factor won't be much of an issue.

There is one small area inside the shower that is horizontal, a small window ledge. It has been painted with an exterior glossy white paint that is designed for wetness, humidity, etc. But, because it is a horizontal surface within the shower, I wanted to give it extra protection. The color is bright white so I cannot use an oil based poly over it, as it will amber. I know that Minwax Polycrylic is crystal clear, but that is for interior use only and not recommended for damp or wet areas, because it is water based.

Does anyone know of a quality clear coat that is durable and made for exterior/dampness/humidity use that is also crystal clear?

Thanks for your help!

V

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I only need a very small amount. That's pretty pricey and only available in a gallon size. I will using a very small amount, I literally will only be using about a small, bathroom sized Dixie cup full.

look around i think they sell it in smaller amounts.

Go to Lowe's and look for a product called Red Max Pro. It's a floor coating. RV and boat owners use it a lot to restore the shine on dull and faded gelcoats. It holds up well to the elements and costs about $10.00 a gallon. The key is to apply several light coats.

Correction, Lowe's no longer carries the Red Max Pro. It's been rebranded as ZEP Wet Floor Finish and is available at The Home Depot.

Correction, Lowe's no longer carries the Red Max Pro. It's been rebranded as ZEP Wet Floor Finish and is available at The Home Depot.
I just checked the Home Depot website, and the product seems to be called Wet Floor Polish, not finish. Are we talking about the same thing? From a scan of the reviews some seem to be dated back a few years, so if it is a new product for Zep as you suggest, it must have been a few years ago.

Back